Hmm i'm really not sure what to say, but I think I may have sort of made a new friend.

I went out to a bowling event with a social group I signed up with at uni. There were about 50 or so people who turned up, and out of those people, I really only knew 5 of them. But they knew a lot more people than me, so that night, they sort of forgot about me, and I sat in the booth with my team. My team members all had a buddy they were with so apart from the obligatory introductions, we didn't really talk too much.

I'm risking sounding like a complete pessimist, but I wasn't really having too much fun. Its not that I don't like bowling, or that the other people weren't friendly. It's got a lot to do with myself. Around large groups, I get a bit anxious and I kind of become a bit of a recluse and retreat further back into my shell. I'm so bad with meeting new people and I get really nervous. You could say I'm socially awkward. I've always hated this about myself.

I guess its sort of how I've been brought up. I've never really had a chance to be with people my own age, and the only people I got to meet were adults. But even then, it wasn't 'proper' for me to talk to them unless I had been introduced. So I've always had this thing where unless the other party introduces themselves to me, or I get introduced to them by another person, I'd just sit or stand there in silence.

Its great if the other party introduces themsevles, but most of the time, because I never tend to make the first move, most people would just assume that I'm a snob. Which is completely untrue. And I hate the fact that I'm such a coward sometimes. Whats so hard about introducing yourself right?

So most of the night I put on a pretend face, and try to look happy. I try to be interested in whatever was happening. And when people talked to me I tried to be as social as I could. And then i realized how dull, boring and dry i am. I have no personality watsoever. I have nothing to talk about. After exchanging a few words, most people just went back to their own little group.

Fuck I hate myself sometimes. Why can't I have a little more life? Why can't I be a little more funny? Why am I so serious all the time? Why do i take things so literally and why am I so dry all the time? I wish i could change myself. But i can't seem to no matter how hard i try.

I think i've put out fake smiles and fake laughs so many times during my life now that I don't even know how it feels to be genuinely happy anymore.

When we were leaving though, I noticed that most people had formed groups, who lived in the same area. Like usual, I'm the only one travelling out my way. Until I noticed another guy by himself. So I asked him where he was headed. He lives in the suburb directly beside my suburb and was taking the train. My stop is the next one from his. So i said i'd train it back with him.

We had a bit of a chat and i found out some pretty interesting stuff about him. He's an international student, same age as me, doing his masters. He'd only been here for less than 3 weeks, and came alone. So he has no friends, and doesn't know anyone. At the train station he was going to buy a snack from the vending machines, but the machines didn't accept the coins he had. So i gave him some money. But he seemed a bit shy and reluctant to accept, so I bought it for him instead. He thanked me and then said something along the lines of he'll get me something next time we go out.

:-P did he say 'next time'? Well anyway we swapped phone numbers and he said he'd add me on FB.

He's not gay though i don't think so it'll be nothing more than just friends. But thats okay, because i could really use some friends right about now.

-------------------

2 comments:

BaS said...

I have read several post. Empty spaces? Yes really, I can acctually feel the emptyness inside you. But why you choose to be empty? You seems to have a lot of burden that comes only from your perspective. Life is how you perceive it man!.....if you perceive yourself as that you had written down, then you are trapped by your own thought.....
hey....I'm not really good in speaking english but at least I try. You know what? By reading your posts I have the emerging need to get to know you more as friend...mind to chat via ym, skype, gmail? Maybe by cyber, you won't get ackward again.....just let me know if you willing to....or visit my blog instead, leave record/comment to let me know that you are responding.....cheers!

empty_spaces said...

BaS, thanks for your comment.

Empty spaces symbolises how i feel. I feel like i have no substance in my life. I have no direction. Im simply following the path that i've been given. I don't choose to be empty. But thats just how I feel after watching and observing what goes on around me. My feelings and my problems are insignificant in the scheme of things.

It's true. A lot of the burden i feel probably does come from my own perspective. I'm a prisoner to my own mind, and there's very little i can do about it. But i guess thats part of the reason I started this blog. To try and get myself out of these shackles.

This blog is simply a place i come to, to strip away everything else in my life.

I apologise if my posts are of a depressive or sombre nature, but i just want to point out that i only come here when I'm feeling down, so these posts only reflect half of the real me. When im happy, i have no need to visit here. I hope you understand.

btw, i checked out your blog. :-( i couldn't read most of it because it's in a different language.

Post a Comment

Copyright 2010 Empty Spaces
Lunax Free Premium Blogger™ template by Introblogger